Transcripts and Diplomas

How to Order Your SMC Transcript

SMC provides three ways to order your official transcript. Transcripts cost $5 per copy.  

  • Online

    Order your electronic or mailed paper transcript online via the National Student Clearinghouse.

    You can pay by credit or debit card using the system linked above. Electronic delivery is the preferred method to ensure quick, efficient service to you. Most electronic transcripts are delivered within hours, not days.

  • In Person

    Complete the official College Transcript Request Form.

    Pay for your transcripts with cash or check at the Business Office on either campus and obtain a receipt. Express, on-demand printing of a transcript costs $20 per copy.

    Deliver the form and receipt to the Records Office in the Briegel Building on the Dowagiac campus. Transcripts cannot be sent electronically by this method.

  • By Mail

    Complete the official College Transcript Request Form and mail it along with a check or money order to the Records Office. Transcripts cannot be sent electronically by this method.

  • General Information About Transcripts
    • Full academic transcripts will be released even when an individual has existing financial obligations to Southwestern Michigan College. The college requests that individuals with an outstanding balance contact the Business Office at (269) 782-1298 first to understand more about the financial indebtedness prior to the processing of the transcript order.
    • Electronic transcript orders will be processed when the college is closed on weekends or due to inclement weather and extended breaks. If the electronic order has an attachment or requires research by a staff member, it may not be processed until the college has reopened.
    • Paper transcript orders are only processed when the college is open.
    • Transcripts may not be picked up by a third party unless the student has given written authorization with the request.
    • A photo ID is required for transcript pickup.
    • SMC does not accept faxed or emailed transcript requests.

How to Order Your SMC Diploma

Whether you're a recent grad or graduated some time ago, you can order an additional diploma, updated diploma, or eDiploma (see Diploma Services Defined below).

  • Recent Graduates

    Southwestern Michigan College provides a free 8.5" x 11" standard-size diploma to each recent graduate, assuming the graduate completed a graduation application. The college contracts with Michael Sutter Company, an authorized third-party vendor, to print and mail diplomas.

    Diplomas are mailed to recent graduates approximately four (4) to six (6) weeks after the graduation semester ends. When diplomas ship from Michael Sutter, graduates receive notification through their Wired email and a personal email (if provided from the graduation application), indicating the mailing date and address, as well as a secondary email that includes a secure ID that can be used to purchase an eDiploma.

    Diplomas are mailed to the address indicated on the graduation application. Address changes made in Wired will not change the diploma mailing address. Students who wish to change their diploma mailing address must contact before the end of the graduating semester. The cost of a diploma reprint order due to an incorrect mailing address will be the responsibility of the graduate.

    Your diploma will list your name as it appears on your graduation application. The cost of a diploma reprint due to a name change will be the responsibility of the graduate.

  • Prior SMC Graduates

    SMC graduates, of prior semesters/years, who previously received a diploma but want to order an additional diploma, updated diploma, or eDiploma (see Diploma Services Defined below) need to go to Southwestern Michigan College Online Diploma Service. Graduates who do not recall their SMC ID or who graduated before August 2023, will click Submit a Diploma Request. An email will be sent to the graduate within 1-2 business days containing a Secure ID to be used to return to the site and start the order. Graduates who graduated on or after August 2023 and recall their SMC ID may start their order right away by clicking Search My Diploma.

  • Diploma Holds

    Whether a new or past graduate of SMC, all financial and other obligations must be cleared to receive a diploma. Graduates must satisfy all unpaid student account balances through the Business Office before their diploma will be mailed. If you have questions about your Business Office hold, contact 

    Students must notify when these items are completed to release the diploma.

  • Diploma Services Defined

    The following services are available online through the Southwestern Michigan College Online Diploma Service.

    • Order a replacement diploma—If you need a duplicate or replacement diploma, you can order it easily online. You will be able to choose Standard Delivery or Express Overnight Delivery. There is a $20.00 charge for replacement diplomas. Your diploma will be printed and mailed within one week of your order.
    • Order an Official eDiploma—Your Southwestern Michigan College eDiploma is a signed and certified PDF of your original paper diploma used for easy diploma verification purposes. The eDiploma is a one-time charge of $12.00. You will receive your eDiploma within minutes of ordering. You can share your eDiploma as often as you need, with employers, other colleges, whoever may request it. The eDiploma cannot be printed; it is a digital file only. There is no expiration date on this file. The third party that you send your eDiploma to can verify the authenticity of the document and your academic achievement through SMC.


    If the name on your diploma request order does not match the name on your original diploma, you may be notified by email to submit a name change form. Finally, the service allows you to track the status of your diploma order whether it is your new diploma or replacement diploma.

If you have any questions after reviewing this information about diploma and transcript services, contact the Records Office at (269) 782-1351 or